Wednesday, September 27, 2006

hawaiian cynics in london

the hawaiian shirt epidemic
its not that i fear them, its just i dont get them. they are "casual" wear, but they are still button ups. and the shirts are cut straight at the bottom. the patterns are weird. i cant picture any true hawaiian wearing one. they are novelty. it is what makes hawaiians money. but anyway, i feel that if i walk into a place (restaurant, gym, bar, store........and so on) and at least 1/6 of the population is dressed in hawaiian shirts, i lose my comfort. im being honest. i dont know the exact percentage, but there is a point where i can deal with it, and then there is a point where it stresses me out. help me find the line.

the cynicism epidemic
ive always been pretty cynical about lots of stuff. as you can read above. i realized that im at this point where there is no adventure in things. there is no hope really. or it seems much more bleak than i would want it to be. all because i go into everything with the mindset that something must be wrong or i find faults before i find anything else. this may explain why i enjoy movies that others do not and many other things about me.

the britons epidemic
this "summer" was great. i went to europe. but i had an equal amount of fun with the britons that came out here. it was exciting showing them around. it made me look at my surroundings with new eyes again. with non cynical eyes. examples being:
emily smiling about seeing lexington reservoir
simon happy about eating pumpkin products/mountain dew
sammy laughing about us not using the metro
dominic going to an electro-bootie-house show with us
ashley so excited to wear a foam hand at a baseball game

i just feel that everything is so new to them, and we got to show them around for bits and it was the best. it made me appreciate so much more. it made me understand that we do have culture here, and they see it just as we see their culture overseas. im pretty sure i want to spend my days in the bay area showing foreigners around.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm headed for the caribbeans next year for a friend's wedding. oh, and the A's clinch the west! LET'S GO OAKLAND!

brian jensen said...

what a rad place to get married.

brian jensen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

re: the cynicism epidemic
"i realized that im at this point where there is no adventure in things. there is no hope really. or it seems much more bleak than i would want it to be."

That is the most emo thing I've read in months, by far.

Jon said...

someone actually used the word "emo"

Shannon Marie said...

How do you feel about Trader Joes ? They are all about the Hawaiian print and I can't figure out why. I'm really not a fan. I wouldn't say I get anxious about it, but I do feel similarly about ellipses.