Wednesday, March 26, 2008

top 10 satisfactions

as you guys blog about top ten pet peeves, i decided to think about my responses for that while i list the little satisfactions of life. this could be linked to Amile, where the narrator addresses each characters little satisfactions. these are in no order

1. cleaning things out. not cleaning like scrubbing things down, but quick cleans like throwing away stuff that clogs up the desktop on my computer. or throwing away a box that i realized i will never use. or throwing away notes from a meteorology class knowing that i will not need these in my future.

2. laundry habits. i love when i am transferring clothes from the washer to the dryer and i reach in and hold a larger amount of fabric than i had imagined. this can be contrasted with my disinterest of pulling out a single shirt when i wanted to grab at least a shirt and a few socks and some pants.

3. reminders of travels. being outside when it is slightly cold with a brisk wind and i am drinking a coffee and i smell cigarettes in the near distance reminds me of europe. and that makes me feel at peace. i want to live in those moments and be relaxed in that. another example is walking past a dumpster in large cities on hot days. that terrible trash stench reminds me of beijing, and i sit and live in that moment.

4. clean sheets. i love going to bed and climbing into clean sheets. sheets that are perfectly fit to my bed. i usually do this before i go on a trip so that when i get home, i have this waiting for me, and i get so excited for it.

5. number 2. sometime right after going to the bathroom it is the best feeling.

6. popping corks. with champagne bottles or belgian beer. i like popping the cork in my hand instead of letting it fly. it is a great feeling

7. rubbing my hands for warmth. i choose to do this when i am cold versus blowing warm air in the hands or putting my hands in a pocket.

8. paying with coins. it is satisfying to get rid of change, and i enjoy paying with it, although i have not had it in my to do this at bars or restaurants. it is easy at coffee shops and places where i make purchases under $3. whatever change i have in my pockets after becomes a tip, because everyone deserves tips. not just baristas.

9. sneezing. i always experience great satisfaction the instant after the sneeze. i love sneezing because it is unexpected. i can't plan on these to happen (whereas the rest of these it is somewhat easy to replicate).

10. people with accents. these people always move up higher on my list of favorite people. well sadly only some accents, but still, i love talking to them and i question why they ended up in campbell as opposed to their home nations (where i would rather be).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for doing something positive. #2- I love taking warm clothes out of the dryer- especially in the winter. Best ever- putting pants on straight out of the dryer when its freezing.

Galadri said...

I must whole heartedly agree with #5. I liken a good #2 to a religious experience.