Saturday, January 12, 2008

being in it

watching There Will Be Blood last night had my mind thinking. i am not going to spoil any bit of the movie, so dont worry. my mind was going back in forth in a "i am liking this" to a "i am not liking this" way. the same thing happened when i saw I'm Not There the other week. i am too concerned on what my perception is of the movie instead of actually enjoying it as a firsthand thing. 

maybe it is the blogging, and knowing that if i like or do not like what i am watching, i will want to tell people. maybe i want my opinion before i really can justify it.

maybe it is this quick comment someone said at our small group the other night. she said that it is like being on vacation in a great place and saying "this is going to be one of my favorite places" and you get so rolled up in that thought that you really dont enjoy it while being there. 

maybe we shouldn't love things or dislike things until we are done witnessing things. i, for one, have too many opinions before it all settles. 

once again, this might not make sense to anyone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

word. and its not even just movies or music sometimes, its life. the blog world is a strange place and opinions are a warm gun. (i don't know what that means).

Jon said...

i tend to think that opinions are like warm guns. you shoot them once and they fire easily. you shoot them twice, suddenly you're a machine gun.

Liz said...

I appreciate this as a snap of the human experience. I too get hung up on why I like or dislike something and I lose the moment. I blame art history and humanities courses. Look at the line, look at the color, the line, the color, the ... but then I forget to look at the painting.

Unknown said...

Because of blogging I think in lists... well more because of high fidelity, but I wonder if our culture is moving so much in the direction of minimizing information for retention that we have to think in lists and clusters, etc.