Tuesday, May 09, 2006

very close

every once in a while it will hit me. the windows down as im driving somewhere after the sun has gone down. myself, dressed in shorts and sandals and a t-shirt. the unknown words from some language being sung in my ear. the smell of a dirty alleyway behind a restaurant.

i know it doesnt sound great, but it reminds me so much of the past. the summers i spent in mexico or china. its not like sweltering heat and terrible smells are reasons to get excited. but tonight as i was listening to carolina by seu jorge, with the windows down, and the breeze that was not cold was blowing in the car, and the rotten smell reminded me of driving through mexico in the high school days (i am not saying mexico smells, nor am i saying seu jorge is spanish or mexican).

i guess it gets me excited:
to leave
to wear sandals
to drive with the windows down and turn the music up
to dance to portugese music
to not worry about the winter olympics anymore
to have extra daylight
to put aloe vera on my sunburns
to read books on airplanes/trains
to hear other languages and not care to know their meaning
to drink iced green tea
to have bonfires
to do sweat-hole en route to the beach
to eat bbq/fresh watermelon
to spend sunday at the beach and then church

4 comments:

mrgn said...

to do sweat-hole en route to the beach

brian, what is this?

Jon said...

that entire post just made me incredibly excited about going back to SJ.

Although, I could do without sweat hole this summer.

brian jensen said...

sweat hole consists of getting to the summit on 17, then rolling up the windows and turning on the heat, so that once the car gets to the beach you can run and cool off in the ocean. but usually thats too extreme for me, and i just cool off by opening the door.

Shannon Marie said...

wow, sweat hole sounds gross...