Thursday, August 03, 2006

beer on tap

i had this thought the other day about how great it would be to know where to go in which cities to find a certain beer. say for instance i was going to san francisco and i wanted a Duvell on tap. how would i know where to go? beermapping.com doesnt help me out. it shows me my overall options. but i want to know which places have which beer on tap. i want a google map thing built around this. i want a myspace built around this. i think this should happen. i think this can happen. i cant really fully explain myself right now. but i can tell you in person that i want this to happen more than anything else. so think about it. and help me out. money wont help me.

4 comments:

Shannon Marie said...

I totally agree with you.

Anonymous said...

where do i sign up?

mrgn said...

Let's see here... ok.

We could use the google maps api to do this, at least part of it. Also we could tie in flickr's API to display photos of the bars/beers/etc.

Hurdle #1: Getting an API key from Google Maps. Pretty easy, I think you just sign up and state what you want to do with the map. http://www.google.com/apis/maps/signup.html

Hurdle #2: How's your javascripting? Mine is terrible. I can code a mouseover image change and that's about it, it's pretty sad. The API interface is all controlled through .js files, so we need to either write our own or borrow from an existing api database. Either way tutorials and head scratching will ensue.

Hurdle #3: Turning this project into a way to get free beer This hurdle is very important and must be solved asap.

Ok good.

mrgn said...

update:

http://www.mapbuilder.net/users/mrgn/22919